Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Plywood envy


Beginning a new art project is scary at first. I don't know where I'm going or how things will end up. Here's a story about how I found my compass to set out on a new artistic journey. My art studio neighbor had these two incredibly large pieces of plyood that I saw day after day. And I began to covet them! They are five by five feet roughly. I asked her if I could have one, and so because artists love to share, she obliged me. I hauled it over to my studio, lovingly placed it on my easel and began to sand the edges. I got a splinter, which sucked. Then I got a band aid.


What will I do with it? I've never worked on a canvas or board this big. It's intimidating.


I visited Indiana covered bridges in the fall and have some super photographs that I plan to meld into a 3-D design on the board. The bridges are full of character and aged patina, and many date back to the 1800s and early 1900s. What if I can evoke or conjure up a covered bridge on the wood to show people how beautiful and servicable these structures are? So, that's the plan. Some red paint, some pix, some character, some courage. I have a compass. Let's see what direction to go.