Friday, March 14, 2014

Sketching is the thing! I'm in a Leonardo DaVinci mode

Taking a break from large-scale artistic creations with paints, papers or photographs -- the things I typically assemble for scrapboarding -- is what I need now. I've begun a series of sketches with No. 2 lead pencils and a tablet from Target. I will be posting them here. The joy of sketching is that I am so in the moment and don't feel compelled for that rat, "Perfection," to crawl about in my mind. Be free! Sketch!

Here you see the constellation Canis Major, The Great Dog with Orion the Hunter, the caretaker and guardian of The Great Dog. Canis Major's main star is called Sirius, the dog star, which appears as the large ball about the neck of the dog. Sirius is the brightest star and the biggest in the night sky in winter. You can see the dots within the sketch which are the stars of both constellations.